Heritage Trails Partnership of the Mississippi Gulf Coast
Heritage Trails Partnership of the Mississippi Gulf Coast is a collaborative effort whose mission is to improve the quality of life of Mississippi Gulf Coast communities by promoting healthy physical outdoor activities.
The Trails Partnership envisions a safe, coast-wide network of diverse trails that connect neighborhoods to businesses, schools, green spaces, and blue spaces where everyone can enjoy scenic, historic, educational and natural areas.
- Three Foot Law passed
- Pascagoula Bike Route Finalized
- Website & Facebook page
- Hosted 1st Bridge to Bridge Bike Ride
- Gautier Trails Group Founded
- Bike N Bus Established: Riders exceed 1
- Rotary District 6840 (55 clubs) Trails, Network & Event Promo
- Red Creek Paddle
- Partnered to Design, Produce & Implement “Bike Biloxi Bicycle Route”
- Deer Island Blueway Planning with GCHTP Partners & City of Biloxi, Expert input on trailhead design
- Attended Bike Summit in D.C.
- Presented at National Trails Symposium, Chattanooga & NPS Scientific Mtg (George Wright Society, NOLA)
- Bicycle Safety Act promotion/public education promoted state-wide
- Police Academy course developed and taught in Hancock County
- Jim Foster is Board Member of Bike/Walk Mississippi Input to Long Range Federal Transportation Plan – 5 yr Plan
- St. Patrick Catholic High School Bike Club – Mtn bike group ride, safety course
- Wrote Mrs. Barbour & presented the Heritage Trails to MS Director of Tourism
- Advocated Old Hwy 49 Path, leading to National Recreation Trails application & Cara Pucheu as Partner
- Achieved League Cycling Instructor certification to teach nationally accredited bicycle education courses
- Designed and produced bike ed for families with children ages 1-5, the Trike Rodeo (Excel by 5)
- Attempted to save I-10 bridge at Slidell for a bike/ped family recreation & fitness destination!
- Trails Traveled: Santa Monica Beach Path; Grand Canyon South Rim; River Mtn Loop Trail (NV), Old Fort Bayou (MS), Raccoon Mtn Bike Trail (TVA at Chattanooga); Sandestin Multi-use Paths; B2B Bicycle Destination (MS); Southern Magnolia 100 Bike Route; 6 Gap Half Century (58 mi GA Professional Bike Race Course
- New Group Bike Rides: Gautier, Pass Christian, Biloxi Dinner Ride, B2B on US 90 Pathway
- Developed Junior Trails Partnership – getting kids outside on our local trails & education
- Create safe and easily accessible, diversified trails that will connect neighborhoods, schools, businesses, green spaces, and blue spaces.
- Encourage economic development and ecotourism through promoting and providing a wide variety of recreational opportunities.
- Become the premier public advocate in support of a multi-use trails network.
- Encourage conservation and awareness by providing opportunities to study, appreciate and protect our natural, cultural and historic resources.
- Promote healthy living and improve our quality of life through the use of Coastal Heritage Trails.
- Coordinate and support completion of the MS Coastal Heritage Trail from the Grand Bay NERR to the Infinity Science Center.
Department of Marine Resources
Gulf Regional Planning Commission – Since 1967 the staff of GRPC has been providing general planning support to the fourteen member jurisdictions through various projects, not limited to land use, mapping and comprehensive planning development. Additionally, GRPC serves as the metropolitan planning organization (MPO) for the urbanized areas of Gulfport-Biloxi and Pascagoula-Moss Point. Our transportation planning process has been certified by the Federal Highway Administration, which allows the GRPC to manage the Surface Transportation Program funds that are allocated to the urban areas.
Domino’s Pizza – Assisting with community support, Domino’s Pizza has also been a sponsor of t-shirts, Partner cards and stickers to help move the Partnership forward.
SMPDD (The District) – The District launched our internet presence by developing & designing our beautiful website. Their affiliate, Mississippi Association for Spatial Technologies (MAST), has kindly donated our domain hosting.