MS Gulf Coast Sr. Games has added a Kayak, diagnosis Canoe, and SUP race to this year’s event and is partnering with the Heritage Trails Partnership of the MS Gulf Coast as the host.
Age Requirement (MGCSG rules):
Any Adult over 50 years of age and Registered for the Mississippi Gulf Coast Senior Games. Please go to: www.gulfcoastseniorgames.org
Location/ Course Description/ Map:
Join us in beautiful Gulfport, MS on the soon to be designated Gulfport Lake Blueway at the confluence of the Seaway Canal and Bernard Bayou. Race Headquarters will be at the Gulfport Lake Boat Launch which you can find by entering through the entrance of Bayou Vista Golf Course off of Hewes Ave. For this event, there will be two different courses. The “Short Course” is comprised of a 3 mile Loop around Gulfport Lake and the “Long Course” is comprised of a 10 mile loop from Gulfport Lake through Bernard Bayou back along the Seaway Canal. There are plenty of tandem kayaks and canoes available, so consider paddling with a partner. If you are in need of a partner but interested in racing, please contact us to be connected with other single paddlers! Heritage Trails Partnership at firstname.lastname@example.org
8:00 a.m. – Check-in/Registration
9:30 a.m. – Launch/On-Water Warm Up
10:00 a.m. – Staggered Start Short Course (3 mile race) & Long Course (10 mile race)
11:00 a.m. – Short Course Race Complete
11:30 a.m. – Award Ceremony for Short Course Race
12:00 p.m – Lunch (for racers or immediately after finish)
1:00 p.m. – Long Course Race Complete
1:30 p.m. – Award Ceremony for Long Course Race
1:30 p.m. – Post Race Celebration
K1 Short – any enclosed cockpit single kayak < (less than) 14ft in length and shorter
K1Long- any enclosed cockpit single kayak > (greater than) 14 ft in length and longer
K2- any enclosed cockpit, recreational, or sit-on-top tandem kayak (2 person kayak)
SOT- any Sit-On-Top kayak of any length and design (including surf-skis)
C1- any solo canoe of any length
C2- any tandem canoe of any length (2 person canoe)
SUP- any Stand-Up-Paddleboard of any length
Rules & Procedures
- Pre-registration is highly recommended (see below)
- All race participants must “check-in” at the registration table at the race headquarters (Gulfport Lake Boat Launch Parking Lot) between 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. on race day.
- At the “check-in” all participants will pick up Bib #’s and other information.
- Bib #’s must be placed on the front of the PFD and on the Front (Bow) Right (Starboard) side of the boat. SUP’s PFD Only. Safety pins will be provided. Failure to finish the race without Bib # will result in potential disqualification.
- All race participants must wear a coast guard certified PFD (Personal Floatation Device)/ Life Vest throughout the duration of the race. Failure to wear the PFD at any time during the race will result in disqualification.
- All race participants will launch and enter the designated “warm-up” area of Gulfport Lake prior to the “staggered start”. The “staggered start” will involve all race classes for the Long Course on the starting line at the same time, and at the exact designated start (see Race Schedule) the “horn” will sound. The clock will begin running at the sound of the horn. Then slightly after, all race classes for the Short Course on the starting line at the same time, and at the exact designated start (see Race Schedule) the “horn” will sound. The clock will begin running at the sound of the horn. Once each race participant crosses the “Finish Line” their time will be marked.
Prizes & Awards:
The 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place male and female in each age bracket and in each of the “Race Classes” (see above) for both the “Long Course” and “Short Course” will receive a MGCSG medal.
Mail-in: COB/MSGCSG, P.O. Box 6556, Diberville, MS 39540 or E-mail: MSGCSG@aol.com
Pre Race Outings
Monday, April 7th: Cultural Heritage Tour & Kayak Trip
Tuesday, April 8th: Cultural Heritage Tour & Bicycle Ride
Wednesday, April 9th: Cultural Heritage Tour & Birding Walk
Thursday, April 10th: Cultural Heritage Tour & Canoe Trip
*Interested in these outings and fun for the whole family: email@example.com
Interested in sponsoring the Mississippi Gulf Coast Senior Games : www.gulfcoastseniorgames.org
Interested in sponsoring the Heritage Trails Partnership: www.gulfcoasttrails.org
Plenty of ways to get involved! Please contact Heritage Trails Partnership at: firstname.lastname@example.org